Monday, April 11, 2011

Cheddar & Chive Buttermilk Biscuits


I seem to have ticked someone off pretty badly lately.  Bad karma has been following me around like crazy.  Last week, something major went wrong every day.  The water heater exploded and flooded our main living area.  We had no hot water for 3 days....which just led to greasy hair [thank goodness I work at home], piles of dirty dishes, and two very cranky homeowners.  In an effort to boost our spirits, we got the patio furniture out.  Table, chairs, umbrella and stand - the whole deal.  The weather was warming up, the sun was out, we were planning to entertain on Friday evening - PERFECT!  We were so excited.  I left to take the dog for a walk and came home to our umbrella half way down the street and our glass-top table smashed into a zillion little pieces.  Completely ruined.....and glass everywhere.  I wanted to cry.  In the meantime, the dog got her leash wrapped around my ceramic handpainted planter and sent it flying into a stone paver wall....smashed into a million little pieces.   Haz mat control!  The good news:  we are all healthy and alive.  These are all just "things" and can be replaced.  But it was really just enough to put a major cramp in my style.



Moving on.  It's a new week, time for a new beginning.  My husband came down with a spring cold this weekend [ya, that was another kink in the week].  He usually craves comfort food when he's sick so I made an extra spicy batch of my Spicy Bean Soup with Shredded Chicken.  I've had a quart of buttermilk taking up room in my fridge so thought these cheddar and chive buttermilk biscuits would be the perfect complement to the soup.  Total comfort all the way.  I think he's cured now....

I admit that I haven't had the best of luck with biscuits in the past.  But I was determined to get it right this time.  These biscuits turned out so wonderful - soft, flaky, full, flavorful.  They were everything I was hoping for.  And the best part - they were so incredibly easy. 

Switch up the flavors to your liking and enjoy a batch today! 



Cheddar & Chive Buttermilk Biscuits
Original Recipe from Sweet Pea's Kitchen
Adapted by A Toast to Taste

Ingredients Needed:
1 3/4 cup ap flour
3/4 cup corn meal
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 stick cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1.5 cups extra-sharp cheddar, shredded
3 Tbsp parmessan, finely grated
1/3 cup fresh chives, chopped
1 1/3 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.

In a food processor fitted with the dough blade, add flour, corn meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Pulse a few times to mix.  Add the butter.  Pulse until texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the butter pieces no larger than small peas.  The rest of the work will be done by hand.  Pour mixture into large mixing bowl.  Stir in cheeses and chives.  Then add buttermilk and stir by hand until just combined.  Do not overmix.  Drop dough into 8-10 (depending on the size you want them) equal mounds, about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.  Bake 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown.  Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes, serve, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I always love hearing from you!