Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Spring Asparagus with Poached Egg


Asparagus. Growing up (read ages 5-18) I really didn't appreciate it all that much. It was often the vegetable of choice on our dinner table growing up. I choked it down, knowing there was no way I'd be leaving the  table if it wasn't gone from my plate.

Fast forward 10 years and asparagus is now one of my absolute favorites. Pair it with egg and my knees get weak just thinking about it. Heaven.

I was on my own for dinner last night and wanted something healthy but quick. I sauteed up a bunch of asparagus in some olive oil, seasoned with sea salt and pepper, poached a couple eggs, and savored each little bite I took.

Now, poaching eggs. It's not hard. It seems incredibly intimidating, but it's actually very simple. Follow my instructions below and you shouldn't have any issues.

Another perfect dish suited for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. And you can add more vegetables for variety - tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, whatever you have on hand. Add some shaved parmessan or truffle oil. The options are endless. I love meals like this.

Here's to asparagus!


Spring Asparagus with Poached Egg
Recipe by A Toast to Taste
Photos by A Toast to Taste


Ingredients Needed:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 bunch of asparagus
salt and pepper to taste

2 eggs
splash of vinegar
paper towel

Fill a small saucepan with a few inches of water. Heat over medium low heat. Add a splash of vinegar - this helps the egg stay together once it hits the water. Heat until just very hot. You do NOT want the water to boil. Crack egg into small bowl. With a spoon or spatula, make a whirpool in the water. Slide egg into spinning water. Cook for about 4-5 minutes, making sure the water does not boil. The egg may stick to the bottom of the pan during the cooking process. You may gently slide your spatula underneath the egg to free it. Remove egg from water with slotted spoon and let drain on paper towel.

In a medium skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add asparagus, season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 6-7 minutes, tossing occassionally. Remove from heat, arrange on serving plate, top with egg, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I always love hearing from you!