Monday, May 9, 2011

Asparagus Tart


Last week was one of those weeks....busy, stressful, a little "off", and just all around yucky.  I'm glad it's over.  But there's more to the story.  Overall, I'm going through something much larger than busy, stressful weeks.  I'm in the process.  And it feels good and awkward and slightly selfish.  Mostly, it's necessary.  I'm in the process of change.

Change.  I don't know if it's my age, but I'm really getting sick of just being.  Just being a good worker, just being a good wife, just being a good friend and daughter, just being present.  Just being.  I want to be truly thrilled with my life, with my work, with my cooking, with my blog.  I'm not there, and I don't like it.  I feel forced.  I feel caged, at times.  And I want out.

I awoke to my daily horoscope waiting in my inbox about two weeks ago, like it always is.  It went something like this - "Your ideas are all pointing towards one thing:  Change.  Make sure you are consciously guiding it as much as possible."  It had to be a sign.  It just had to be.  But change doesn't happen overnight.  It's gradual, for me anyways.  And from that point on, I decided I was going to make a change, guided by me.

I've sought out alternative methods to get my body in sync.  I was confident if my body wasn't jiving to the beat of my new thoughts, the change I wanted wasn't going to happen.  I feel it working.  Slowly.  This is a journey.  I can only hope it's a safe, serene, successful one.  This space will serve as my outlet for now.  I want to share it with you - and will always remember to include a recipe!

Because last week was so crazy, I didn't have time for anything elaborate.  I had asparagus and frozen puff pastry.  Done and done.  I've been seeing quite a few tarts lately and thought it would be a perfect option for a quick dinner.  Flaky, crunchy, slightly sweet, yet so savory - I'm definitely a fan of the tart!  The asparagus paired perfectly with the tart.  I topped it with some organic grape tomatoes, goat cheese, and fresh thyme.  Fabulous.  Served it with a nice mixed greens salad and our veggie quota was fulfilled for the day!

This is a must-try!  


Asparagus Tart
Recipe by A Toast to Taste

Ingredients Needed:
flour for dusting
1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 bunch asparagus, washed, tips trimmed
10 grape tomatoes
1-2oz crumbled goat cheese
2 tsp fresh thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Flour your work surface and a rolling pin.  Remove thawed puff pastry sheet from packaging and unfold onto work surface.  Roll out to desired size, making sure to smooth out folds.  With a paring knife, lightly score the pastry dough 1-inch in from the edges to mark a rectangle.  Using a fork, pierce the dough inside the markings.  Place dough on parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.


Remove from oven.  Top with olive oil and garlic.  Then arrange the asparagus spears in an even layer across the dough.  Top with tomatoes, goat cheese, thyme, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake until asparagus is tender, about 12 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I always love hearing from you!