Thursday, June 9, 2011

Key Lime Cheesecake


Last November, my husband and I took a long weekend trip to Key West.  It was one of the best vacations we've ever taken.  I find my mind wandering back to that weekend often.....the warm sun, palm trees swaying in the ocean breeze, the buzz of Duval St, and the Key Lime Pie at Blue Heaven.  That key lime pie, whoa.  I just don't even know where to begin.  In fact it is so good that it allegedly inspired Kenny Chesney's song "Key Lime Pie".  All I can say is, you really have to get there to taste it.  It will change your life. 

The limes have been looking so good at the store lately that I loaded up last time I was there.....really I loaded up like it was my 401(k) plan.  oops.  So I had to do something fabulous with them other than sticking a wedge of one into my gin and tonic.  Of course, I thought about making that darn key lime pie and then came back down to earth, and realized that I'd never be able to replicate that Key West masterpiece.  So, I did some research and found a great Key Lime Cheesecake recipe.  Love cheesecake.  Love key lime.  Score.



I feel like I need to include a warning with this cheesecake.  It's down right nasty good.  I mean nasty good.  So good that you might as well just plan on gaining five pounds while the darn thing is in your fridge.  My husband has never liked cheesecake before, and for the first time ever he's devoured multiple slices of this stuff per day. 

I know cheesecake may seem intimidating, but it's really quite simple.   There are some tricks out there to baking it so it doesn't crack on top, but I say to heck with that.  Bake it like normal {no water}, and hide the cracks with some toasted shredded coconut.  No one will know the difference - and the coconut just adds to the flavor. 

Thanks to Let's Dish for this fantastic cake!  It has become my new summer favorite.

Key Lime Cheesecake
Recipe adapted from Let's Dish who thanked Allrecipes
Photos by A Toast to Taste

Ingredients Needed:
1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs
6 Tbsp butter, melted
32 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
4 eggs
1 Tbsp lime zest, grated
2/3 cup lime juice
3/4 cup shredded coconut, toasted

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Combine graham cracker crumbs with butter and press into bottom of springform pan.  Refrigerate.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, sugar, cornstarch, and lime zest until smooth and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs one at a time, blending just until smooth.  Add lime juice with mixer on low.  Finish mixing by hand.  Do not overbeat or cake may crack during baking.  Bake for 55-65 minutes or until set.  Turn oven off and let cake stand in oven for 30-45 minutes with the door open about 4 inches.  Remove from the oven.  Sprinkle toasted coconut over top of cake.  Refrigerate overnight or until chilled. 


5 comments:

  1. This looks amazing, and such a pretty photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minus the coconut, this looks amazing and is definitely going to go on my Must Try list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa indeed. This looks so scrumptious Aanya... and I really like the toasted coconut - I bet it produces a wonderfully rich flavour - did you simply toast it in a dry skillet? I wonder what adjustments I'd have to make to the ingredient list if I wanted to try with a bit less sugar... Cheers, k.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aanya, made this cheesecake the other night - what a delight! even brought some over to our neighbours who were greatly appreciative!! Have you started your new job? Hope it treats you well. Your blackberry salad is heartbreakingly gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a couple of limes hanging about- they were supposed to be for margaritas, but I think they might need to go in this instead. Nb, sometimes if I'm worried if a baked cheesecake is going to crack I just sift a tablespoon or two of plain flour into it- you can't taste it and it does help stabilise it a bit more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love hearing from you!