Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Rustic Strawberry Tart


Waiting.  It's one thing I've learned this past week that I'm not good at.  Today, I'm officially overdue.  Why is it that doctors give pregnant women due dates?  I think they should give ranges, because once that coveted date you've been looking forward to for the past nine months comes and goes, you experience the brutal reality that you have absolutely no control over the situation.  All you can do is wait, wait, wait.  This kid must take after me - I was 15 days late.  His dad - 3 weeks early.  The only thing I do know is that we are so excited and anxious to meet this little bugger that the anticipation is eating us alive!

While I wait, I cook.  It's comforting to me - and then I think to myself, "it will be good to have this on hand once the baby is here..."  Lord knows I won't have the time to be whipping together rustic tarts on a regular basis once we're home.  I will relish in these last few quiet moments we have, and get as much sleep as possible - because I know that will be sparse, too. 



So let's talk strawberry tart, shall we?  The organic strawberries are finally back on the shelves at my local store and I seriously cannot get enough of them.  I've been putting them on my cereal, in my smoothies, and just eating them plain as plain can get.  But I was in the mood to jazz it up the other day and thought a tart would be the perfect way to do it.  I cheated a bit, though, because I used the frozen puff pastry.  Listen, I'm not usually an advocate of pre-packaged goods, but that frozen puff pastry - I'm a fan.  It's easy and delicious.  It's like a bad habit.  Next time, I'll make my crust homemade.  Deal?

This tart is perfect for springtime entertaining.  It's gorgeous to look at and absolutely delicious.  Not only that but it's so easy.  Try one today and enjoy!



I'm off to wait.
and wait.
and wait.

Happy Eating!

Rustic Strawberry Tart
Recipe by A Toast to Taste
Photos by A Toast to Taste

Ingredients Needed:
1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
1 lb organic strawberries, washed, destemmed, and quartered
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
juice from half lemon
water for brushing
turbinado sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Set aside.

Wash, destem, and quarter your strawberries.  Add them to a large bowl along with the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice.  Stir and set aside.

While the strawberries are marinating, roll out the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface until it's about 1/8" thick.  Transfer to lined baking sheet.  Spoon strawberry mixture into the middle of the pastry sheet, leaving about an inch and a half border.  Fold up the sides of the sheet, free form.  Brush folded sides lightly with water and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.  Bake for 30-35 minutes until crust is golden and strawberries are bubbling.

Let sit for 5-10 minutes before cutting.  Serve and Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. This is a nice post in an interesting line of content, great way of bring this topic to discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely! Best of luck, both my sons were overdue too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making this tonight! Can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always felt nervous about baking strawberries, but this recipe has made me want to give it a try. Thanks for sharing it. My first daughter was a "late" baby. I remember how nerve-wracking it all was and wondering if I just didn't realize I was in labor or something. Best wishes to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I don't have much baking experience, and I tried this with a Pillsbury pie crust and it works great. This tastes really good and it looks like I know what I'm doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me encantan las tartas rústicas luce muy hermosa y deliciosa ,saludos desde Chile,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This article is very interesting and useful. Please visit
    "Beauty Blog"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Work For Money, If You Want Loyalty Hire a Dog Daftar Slot Online

    ReplyDelete
  10. no one notices your sadness until it turns into anger, and then you are the bad person Fafaslot | Joker Gaming | Joker Gaming | Slot Joker Gaming | Joker Slot | Joker Slot | Slot Joker

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always love hearing from you!