Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Greek Couscous Salad



It's usually about this time of the year that I start thinking about spring....why, you ask?

- It's no longer dark by 4:20pm.
- The sun seems to be shining more.
- And stores are already displaying their spring apparel in the windows. Flirty skirts, flip flops and sunglasses - I WANT IT ALL NOW!!!

I'm already thinking about what I want to plant in the flower pots out front - do I want to go red or purple? Or yellow? Or white? And what will I put on the back patio? Decisions, decisions - that clearly I have ample amount of time to contemplate....since it's only mid-February.

It's usually this time of year that I start to get bored with the heavy winter food we've already been eating for 6 months, too. So, this recipe was a breath of fresh air! I'm ready for lemons and melons and berries and fresh herbs. I can't wait for that first CSA box we get - usually fresh greens and garlic scapes early on in the season. Oh the possibilities!



This salad was purely created off the top of my head - "add as you go", I like to call it. I almost always have greek flavors on hand in my pantry and refrigerator - kalamata olives, tomatoes, red onion, feta cheese - so decided these would be perfect with the couscous I had. Add a little celery, greek seasoning, olive oil, and a splash of balsamic vinegar for a lovely tasting salad that works perfectly well as a meal on its own or as a side to grilled chicken, fish, or steak.





Here's to spring, kind of!

Greek Couscous Salad
Recipe and Photos by A Toast to Taste

Ingredients Needed:
1 box all natural couscous
2 stalks celery, chopped
3/4 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1/2 cup kalamata olives, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Greek Seasoning (I used McCormick's)
3/4 cup feta cheese
1/4 cup olive oil
splash of balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

** I did not add any red onion today - but if you have it and like the spicy taste, go ahead and add a half cup or so - it would be a nice complement to the flavors **

Cook couscous according to directions on box. Transfer from pan to large mixing bowl. Add all ingredients except for the feta cheese and stir to incorporate. Once complete, add the feta and give one last stir. Taste and re-season if necessary. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I always love hearing from you!