Saturday, March 5, 2011

Saturday Eggs



Saturday is egg day in our home. Fried, scrambled, sunnyside up, you name it, we've made it. In fact, I could probably count on one hand the number of Saturdays we haven't had eggs for breakfast. They're a bfd here.

My husband loves his eggs scrambled with everything but the kitchen sink in them. I usually end up putting whatever I've got leftover in the fridge - this week it was onion, tomato, spinach, chives, sriracha sauce, and goat cheese. I'm a fried egg kind of gal, but this scrambled concoction looked delicious. I was tempted. But, Saturday wouldn't be the same without my two eggs, brown around the edges and flavored with a pinch of salt and a dash of pepper. I don't do well when it comes to change with my eggs....



I'm seriously considering adding the egg share to our CSA this spring. Eggs from the store are great and all, but I'd rather know where mine are coming from. After all, we eat enough of them that it's something we should be concerned about. What could possibly be better than eggs straight from the farm? Not only that but there's something incredibly nostalgic about cracking open an egg into a hot skillet on a weekend morning. The sounds, the smells, the flavors.

Whaddya say you add a little egg to your life?!

Scrambled Eggs with Spinach and Goat Cheese
Recipe by A Toast to Taste
Photos by a Toast to Taste


Ingredients Needed:
1 Tbsp butter
3 large eggs
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup tomato, diced
handful of raw spinach
2-3 squirts of sriracha sauce
1 Tbsp chive
goat cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Crack eggs into a small mixing bowl. Whisk until combined. Set aside.

Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, tomato, and spinach. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until spinach has started to wilt down. Add eggs. Season with a couple squirts of sriracha sauce, salt, and pepper. Cook for another 2 minutes or until the edges start to form. Stir and let cook for another 4-5 minutes, stirring occassionally, until the eggs are fully cooked. Remove from heat, spoon eggs onto serving dish and top with goat cheese and chives.

Let's make a toast to the incredible, edible egg!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I always love hearing from you!